Tourists are sensitive to the Ecolabel Blue Flag awarding since 2009 the sustainable development initiatives undertaken in Fort-Mahon-Plage.
The judges of the Blue Flag are more and more demanding. However, Mr. Baillet, Mayor of Fort-Mahon, is expecting their impromptu control visit in the summer with confidence and should apply again next year. It was during the inauguration of the casino that the Mayor announced obtaining the Blue Flag in 2013, rewarding the efforts of the municipal staff and residents on environmental protection.
Among the criteria required by the Ecolabel:
- Satisfactory level of safety with aid station
- Showing Blue Flag criteria and details of the FEEE (Foundation for Environmental Education in Europe)
- Viewing range plan with zoning activities, profile of bathing water, the code of conduct and environmental information relating to natural areas nearby
- Sufficient equipment in sanitary and drinking water source
- Existence of facilities for guests with reduced mobility
- Regulation of vehicular traffic on the beach
- Prohibition of animals on the beach
- 5 analyzes of bathing water minimum per season with a maximum interval of 30 days and classification in category “Excellent” from the bathing site – Viewing the results of water analysis
- Selective collection bins on the beach – the beach cleanliness
In France, only 144 municipalities have received the Blue Flag for 2013 – Fort-Mahon-Plage is also classified seaside resort and tourism resort by Decree of 20 November 2007.